Kansas City Mayor Sly James hosted the second annual Energy Efficiency Awards Breakfast on Wednesday April 27 2016. Jointly hosted by Kansas City Energy Project and Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Mayor James recognized area businesses and organizations for contributing to a more sustainable community.
2016 Mayor’s Energy Challenge
The 2016 Mayor’s Energy Challenge invites businesses and institutions to improve their building’s energy performance. Mayor James recognized “early-bird” participants in the 2016 Challenge. These buildings are reducing their energy consumption while using ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager to measure and track energy consumption. Congratulations and thank you to these organizations that have already signed up for the 2016 Challenge:
Hines – 2555 Grand
H&R Block – H&R Block World Headquarters
City of Kansas City, Missouri – 4 Buildings
Kansas City Public Schools – 35 Buildings
Superior Energy Operations through Building Operator Certification
These organizations have demonstrated a commitment to make their buildings more comfortable and energy efficient through facility staff completing Building Operator Certification® (BOC). BOC is nationally recognized program focusing on energy efficient building operations and preventative maintenance procedures. The awardees each have two or more BOC Level 1 graduates AND one or more BOC Level 2 graduates in the last seven years.
City of Kansas City, Missouri
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
General Services Administration
MC Realty Group
Superior Energy Performance through ENERGY STAR Certification
This award recognizes building owners maintaining high energy performance standards, demonstrated by achieving an ENERGY STAR® score of 75 or greater and by regularly verifying this performance through ENERGY STAR® Certification. The awarded owners represent buildings earning four or more ENERGY STAR® Certifications in the last 10 years, including at least one in the last two years.
SIR Properties Trust and Shook, Hardy & Bacon for 2555 Grand
- Owner and Property manager: SIR Properties Trust (owner) and The RMR Group, LLC (manager); Major tenant: Shook, Hardy & Bacon
- Built in 2003, the building is 595,607 sq ft, 24 stories
- ENERGY STAR® Certifications: 2008-2015
Assurant Inc. for Assurant Building, 2323 Grand Blvd
- Owner and Property Manager: Assurant, Inc.; Major Tenants – SunLife Financial; Siegfried & Bingham; Thornton Tomesetti; Brown & Ruprecht, Birch.
- Built in 1985, the building is 365,000 sq ft, 11 stories
- ENERGY STAR® Certifications (Score): 2010 (91), 2013 (94), 2014 (93), 2015 (91)
Hines for The Views at 2345 Grand
- Owner: FSP Grand Boulevard LLC; Property manager: Hines; Major Tenants – Lathrop & Gage, AECOM, Armstrong Teasdale.
- Built in 1977, the building is 640,00 sq ft, 27 stories
- ENERGY STAR® Certifications: 2004-2014.
Sovereign Partners, LLC for Ten Main Center, 920 Main Street
- Building Owner: Sovereign Partners, LLC; Property manager: Cushman Wakefield; Major Tenants – Thomas McGee, Walter P Moore, Missouri Housing Development Commission
- Built in 1968, the building is 355,000 sq ft, 20 stories
- ENERGY STAR® Certifications: 2012-2015
Home-grown Innovation Award
Awarded to an organization for their work to advance the building energy efficiency industry through an innovative program or product developed in Kansas City.
Awarded to Milbank Manufacturing for SynapSuite.
SynapSuite is an energy management system that controls, optimizes and balances electric generation sources with loads in order to shave peak load and provide the most efficient use of energy for grid-tied as well as microgrid installations.
Success in Energy Efficiency through Major Renovation in the Urban Core
Awarded for redeveloping a vacant or blighted structure in the urban core into an energy efficient building that provides significant benefits to the community. Energy efficiency is demonstrated by a source EUI in the top third of national peer building’s or an ENERGY STAR® score of 67 or greater.
Awarded to The Bancroft School Apartments – 4300 Tracy Avenue
Partners: The Dalmark Group, BNIM, Straub Construction, Bancroft School Investors, Make it Right Foundation, Manheim Park Neighborhood Association
Located in historic Manheim Park Neighborhood, The Bancroft School Apartments is a historic renovation of Bancroft Elementary School consisting of 50 affordable housing units, 29 in the renovated school building and 21 new units built on school grounds. The project was completed in October 2013 and fully occupied before the end of that year. With an ENERGY STAR® score in the top third, Bancroft is performing 40-50% better than industry standards; Bancroft has received LEED Platinum Certification.